Friday, April 1, 2011

Le Jardin des Plantes

Not to rub your mostly Minnesotan noses in it, but it's spring here in Paris. I know, I'm shocked too. The experience of a short, mild winter is constantly surprising to me. "It's far too early," I think, as I loll about on the grass, getting way too used to it. While my Minnesotan genes await the inevitable late winter plunge back into snow, ice and cold, my surroundings continue to offer proof that it's not going to happen- spring is here and summer is next. Le Jardin des Plantes is a great place to watch spring unfold. We are within strolling distance and have been dropping by weekly to monitor the progress.



The entrance, with a statue of Jean Baptiste Lamarck, Chair of Botany in the late 1700s, coiner of the word "invertebrate" and developer of evolutionary theory before Darwin was born. 


poppies, tulips and forget-me-nots blooming in the central aisle


more poppies and the most popular attraction, the giant cherry tree



close inspection


closer inspection


standing within the tree is pretty amazing


here's a low quality video of the experience


les fleurs!

No comments:

Post a Comment